Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wishcasting Wednesday

I’m a little late this week on my Wishcasting Wednesday – computer issues yesterday didn’t allow me to get it in on time.  Jamie’s question… 
What do you wish to transform?
When reading the question yesterday, as usual, an answer came to mind, but then I just left myself open to the question for a bit.  Then I came across a couple of things that caught my attention and made me think.


 First, this picture of a tree with the word “transform”.  If you look thru my blog, you will see I love trees…some fascination I have with their branches and texture of their bark – their grandness & presence.  I always wonder to myself what they have “seen” over the years.

Next, a quote referencing trees I received from Tammy Vitale’s Wylde Woman's Wisdom
Recognizing our inner rhythms is a major part of self-acceptance.  As each plant has its own cycles, so do we.  Judging ourselves in comparison to others is unnatural and unjust. Daffodils bloom in early spring while chrysanthemums grace the gardens of autumn. A wildflower blossoms for only one season, an oak tree may live for hundreds of years, and California's giant sequoias have endured for thousands.  Like the trees and flowers, we each have our own rhythms, our own time of fruition. Who is to say what pattern is right for us? Only we can know.  ~ Diane Dreher
I had just had a conversation on Friday night with a friend regarding how we compare ourselves to others.  I can't remember where I read it, but the article was pointing out how we compare the worst in ourselves to the best in others.  How unjust!!  I thought to myself…yes, yes we do – and what my friend was sharing with me about herself was proving that type of comparison, so I listened and tried to reassure her with advice I needed to hear myself.

Then this morning, when reading posts on Facebook, Kind Over Matter posts this quote…
A tulip doesn’t strive to impress anyone. It doesn’t struggle to be different than a rose. It doesn’t have to. It is different. And there’s room in the garden for every flower. You didn’t have to struggle to make your face different than anyone else’s on earth. It just is. You are unique because you were created that way. Look at little children in kindergarten. They’re all different without trying to be. As long as they’re unselfconsciously being themselves, they can’t help but shine. It’s only later, when children are taught to compete, to strive to be better than others, that their natural light becomes distorted.  ~ Marianne Williamson
I tend to pay attention when something is brought to my attention over and again. 

On top of the picture & quotes, a little girl came into our office yesterday.  She kept skipping by my office door.  Finally, I asked her if she was outside skipping in the puddles today too.  She came right into my office and started talking to me.  I gave her some markers to keep her busy while her Mom waited and asked her to draw a picture for my office.  She brought me in a little picture and said “if they look like x’s, I don’t really know how to draw starts”, but that didn’t stop her.  She didn’t question her ability to draw, whether or not I would like what she drew or if I could draw stars better…she was unselfconsciously herself!

What is this all telling me?  Be me…don’t compare – everyone is unique & on their own journey – their way & in their time!

Bringing me to my wish… 
I wish to transform my perspective -
by acknowledging we are all just try to “do us” and all I need is to “do me”.

What do you wish to transform?  Wish here.

As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you!!

2 comments:

  1. So beautifully written!
    I agree... focus on ourself. It is wasted energy to compare. Love this, thank you for sharing.
    As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sandy, this was so very beautiful! I absolutely loved your post, and the wisdom contained in it. How much pain we cause ourselves, by indulging in comparisons! Whether we judge ourselves "less than" or "greater than" someone or something else, it's all just so much CRAP, isn't it?!!!

    As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well.

    (and I might steal a couple of your quotes for myself. LOVED them!)

    ReplyDelete

love, love, love to hear from you...thanks for taking the time! :-)