Friday, April 15, 2011

The Courage to Fly

marked by the muse, stephey baker, creative living, art blog, artist
I am honored to say that I am participating in the Courage to Fly Blog Hop that is hosted by Stephey Baker of Marked by the Muse.  Stephey challenged us to share what we love and to remind ourselves "to build your life with your heart, to push off the branch each day and let your heart fly!". 

My question...

Have you ever taken a risk on yourself? Pushed off the branch and flew into uncharted territory with nothing but inspiration fueling you? If so, please share what gave you the COURAGE to take a risk on yourself. 

First, I'd like to share with you a definition of courage that I love, love, love.  It's from Brene Brown's book called "Gifts of Imperfection".
The root of the word courage is cor -- the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage had a very different definition than it does today. Courage originally meant to speak one's mind by telling all one's heart.
One risk I have taken on myself was starting this blog, which is my courage - it's me...telling all in my heart.  I'm sure you are all familiar with that whisper and nudging that just doesn't let your creative self ever get pushed too far to the side.  I felt like I wasn't making creativity a priority in my life.  Afterall, it is who I am and something I love that makes me feel whole.  

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting their bad advice"
~Mary Oliver, The Journey
You see, I am one of those people who has an idea, but then feels like everything needs to be "perfect" in order to put it out there, but THIS TIME, I just began!  I loved the idea of calling my blog "Beautifully Imperfect" since over the last year I had begun realizing that I am perfect just as I am.  It's like I suddenly realized all I needed to was to be true to me - to share with the world who I am and what I love - in turn, the universe responds and opens a new view of the world around you.  
The jump is so frightening between where I am and where I want to be.  Because of all I may become, I will close my eyes & leap. ~ Mary Ann Rademacher
Since creating my blog, I have found many like minded souls with the artists that I have found online.  I always felt like I lacked that connection to others who really understood my journey and my desire to be true to myself.  My desire to nurture those whispers and nudgings.  I have been inspired by all the courageous people...all speaking their hearts by sharing their gifts - their art, their voice, their writing.  Now, I understand how sharing yourself with the world, even if it touches just one person, makes all the difference.  
Because our gifts carry us out into the world and make us participants in life, the uncovering of them is one of the most important tasks confronting any one of us.  When we talk about being true to ourselves--being the persons we are intended to be--we are talking about gifts.  We cannot be ourselves unless we are true to our gifts.  ~ Elizabeth O'Connor
In February 14th (the day of love), I commited to post something I love everyday - to Live Love 365 (my post on Feb 14)!  I wanted to look for the beauty in each day and this has came mostly in the form of posting pictures.  It has been amazing to me how my view of things I would tend to overlook has changed.  I am so much more aware and take the time to notice the little things.  Here are a couple of the sets of pictures I've taken - Winter Beauty & A Day in a Sunset.

Then today, my heart almost melted when I commented on how pretty a photograph was that a friend had posted on Facebook.  Her response to me was "you inspired me by all your beautiful pics" - I inspired her - WOW!  

I don't know where this journey will lead, but what I do know is I finally feel like I'm on the right path and I'm living each day with my heart.  I am eager to learn more and develop my gifts.  I welcome all the inspirations, explorations, opportunities and discoveries I have yet to encounter.  I am ready to FLY!  The lesson...just begin!!    

One final note - another quote (i heart quotes)... 
Lean forward into your life...catch the best bits and the finest wind.  Just tip your feathers in flight a wee bit and see how dramatically that small lean can change your life"  ~ Mary Ann Radmacher
Thank you to Stephey for the challenge and the push to fly!!  And, thank you all for sharing yourselves during this Blog Hop.  It has truly been a pleasure! xx
marked by the muse, stephey baker, creative living, art blog, artist

And, check out my fellow blogger for the day, Deb Taylor.

8 comments:

  1. Go Girl Go...fly high...what a wonderful story about your own courage! Your blog is inspiring and I will visit often! ~flap flap~

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is oh so wonderful.. I loved reading your post... bravo! I too put myself out there, and sometimes, I've been hurt by others that don't know the real me, or ppl that are self serving and hurtful.. but I plug away anyway. I share myself anyway. I am me, anyway. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. xo love to you this day. xo Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, wow - I can totally relate to this obsession with perfection. In fact, I just blogged about it myself today! For me, it's one part control, one part "needs to be absolutely perfect", and I have to tell you, this obsession of mine holds me back all of the time. When I finally let go of it, I can relax and move forward.

    Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so much for imperfection ... you are ROCKn the light girlie ... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy I just found you blog!! Mine is Called Imperfect People www.imperfectpeople.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the quotes (especially Brene's definition!) and I love your cor/courage.

    And what a beautiful 365. Definitely inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandy - Great post! I very much related to wanting to have things perfect before commencing and felt the same way about blogging, too, but took a chance and dove in a year ago this month :) No regrets! Yay!

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean by 'perfection'... and it's really cool that you've chosen to name your blog 'imperfect' A brave step :)!
    ANd I'm so happy for you that you are a 'muse' to someone - it is a great feeling, isn't it?
    All the best and stay brave!

    ReplyDelete

love, love, love to hear from you...thanks for taking the time! :-)