Sunday, February 13, 2011

Creative Everday ~ Wk7...my art

This week is a special piece of art since it was created for a friend's 40th birthday. She decided to make this milestone birthday a rejuvenation for herself. These milestones always make you reflect. I know 40 was one that made me take a good look at life and realize how quickly it passes by.

I tried to make this meaningful for her...and with her journey.

I felt a butterfly as the focal point was perfect. To me, a butterfly signifies emergence.

(Update: after giving the picture to her, she told me many people saw an angel instead of the butterfly...interesting - I can see it now! I love when things like that happen.)

Closer view of the butterfly, which is the rolled newspaper techinque I've been working on.


Under the butterfly, I incorporated positive, affirming words onto paper - leaving the little tabs from the sketch pad. I burned the edges to give them a free flowing appearance. Then adhered it to the painting, covering it in paint and wiping off as much as I could. I left some of the dark burn marks visible.

The words that I wanted to stand out were "be true"...

I'm having lunch with her tomorrow to give it to her...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

love, love, love to hear from you...thanks for taking the time! :-)