Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter Solace

One of my resolutions this year was to post a piece of art for the Creative Everyday 2011 challenge at least weekly. Once a week didn't seem overwhelming to me and it would get me back into making time for my art.

This week...a tree, which if you've read any of my posts, I love trees. I had an idea of rolling pieces of newspaper to create the tree to give it a lot of texture to resemble the bark. Originally, I thought I'd paint it after applying the newspaper, but I really liked the natural color created from the newspaper and left it as is.

The leafless tree and the cool, windy sky remind me of the quiet days of Winter, so I labeled it 'solace' - to find comfort. Trees are grounded, strong, always reaching towards the heavens. Their branches sway with the fierce Winter winds flowing with the turbulence...not fighting it. Other days they display the grandeur of a fresh fallen snow or glistening ice.

As we become recluse to the warmth of our homes during the cold Winter months and the New Year begins, we in turn are recluse with our thoughts. Thoughts of the year & years past and what it is we want to bring into our lives. I think of how a tree is strong and beautiful - uniquely its own. How it moves with the winds - not resisting - flowing until they subside. A lesson we could all use in our life's journey.

Be strong & beautiful - uniquely you - stand firm & the winds will pass.

(did i just create a quote? maybe so - i love quotes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

love, love, love to hear from you...thanks for taking the time! :-)